Tuesday, November 25, 2008

DRESSING

Well, here it is two days before Thanksgiving and things are starting to get prepared (kinda). OK I made the cornbread. Yesterday was a BAD DAY first the TV blew up (literally) then the sprayer on my kitchen sink got stuck again and soaked me and the kitchen. May today be somewhat better for mine and everybody elses sake. Back to Thanksgiving, there are a million recipes out there for stuffing/dressing. I only know one. Its kinda like my Moms , but its kinda not. I guess its just Mine all Mine.



Dressing

3 boxes Jiffy Cornbread

White Bread ~ about half the loaf

Wheat Bread ~ about half the loaf

celery (one bunch)

purple onion (large)

eggs (about 6)

chicken broth (2 to 3 cans)

salt ~ to taste

pepper ~ to taste

sage ( I use alot ~ almost the whole can)



Several days before Thanksgiving you need to bake the corn bread and cut into 1 inch pieces. It needs to dry out. Also you need to tear up about a half a loaf each of white bread and wheat bread (i think i add the wheat in there so it sounds healthier) Leave it out or put it in the oven, stir it up couple times a day so all of it can somewhat dry out. (If need be you can put it in the oven on low for several hours for a little help with the drying out process)

The nite before Thanksgiving, chop the celery and onion and mix it with the dried bread in a very large bowl add salt and pepper and lots of sage, refrigerate over night.

Thanksgiving morning get that out of the fridge, let it set for a while and then you will add the beaten eggs and some chicken broth. You don't want it soggy, but you want it to stick together. Put it in a 9x13 pan ( kinda fluff it up a little, you don't want to smooth it out on top ) and bake 350 for about 1 hour till it starts to brown on top. holy cow!



Happy Thanksgiving and ENJOY!

3 comments:

Jindivick Wildlife Care said...

Hi, Did you have a great Thanksgiving. I spent Thanksgiving in Flint, Michigan about 17 years ago. It snowed and we had the most amazing chestnut turkey stuffing - do you have a recipe for that?
Cheers
Gem

Anonymous said...

I noticed you are from "small town Oklahoma". Are we neighbors? I'm from there too and I could tell Gem she has passed through my town if she went on Route 66.

I see we have a lot in common. Only I don't cook so much but I love reading recipes and photography.

Debbie said...

your from oklahoma we live in the northeast region what about you?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed